Los Angeles-based Elizabeth Waterman is an American fine art photographer. A through line in her distinctive body of work is the depiction of the ongoing metamorphosis of artists and performers of many genres. Her singular images explore female sexuality, sex work, obsessions, and portraits of artists. Waterman’s style has been called both transcendent and transformative. It is also elegantly composed, and infused with directness and authenticity.
Currently, Waterman is launching her 2021 book, MONEYGAME, published by XYZ (Lisbon, Portugal). The coffee-table volume features color and black & white photographs from Waterman’s five-year foray into the stripper and sex work industry, and her editorial text. The more than 75 images were shot in New York, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Las Vegas, and Miami.
Waterman also has an extensive commercial and editorial portfolio. Her photographs have been featured in shows at the old Limelight Church/Jue Lan Club (NYC), Wallplay (NYC), and Olson-Irwin (Sydney), auctioned on Artnet.com, and showcased on L’Oeil de La Photographie.com. Her commercial clients include MS Magazine and fashion designers Elie Tahari and Marc Jacobs.Born in Taos, New Mexico, Waterman holds a B.A. in Fine Art from the University of Southern California.
–Prix de la Photographie (PX3) 2020; Honorable Mention in Fine Art/ People
– British Journal of Photography, Portrait of Humanity Book, Publication, May 2019
– The Biennial for Fine Art & Documentary, May 2019 Grant, Shortlisted, February 2019
– Prix de la Photographie (PX3) 2018; Gold Winner in the Documentary Category, Silver Winner in the People Category, and Honorable Mention
– 16th Annual Smithsonian.com Photo Contest, Photo of the Day, Editor’s Pick(September 21, 2018)
2018-present, Co-President, Titan Copyright
Partner in a boutique firm that represented the world’s top photographers in the management and pursuit of their copyright infringements. Clients include the Magnum Agency and Douglas Kirkland. www.titancopright.com
2014-present, Executive Director, Black + Gold
CEO and Executive Director of Black + Gold, a next-generation production agency based in NYC and LA. Black + Gold specializes in photography and online marketing services for a range of clients across the fashion and beauty industries.
2003-2007, University of Southern California
BA in Fine Art, Deans List
– State of the World, Exhibition of PX3 2018 Prizewinning Photography curated by Hossein Farmani, Espace Beaurepaire, Paris, July 2018
– The New Vintage, Show with Marcia Resnick, Jue Lan Club/Limelight Church, New York City, NY, March 2016
–The Gruin Transfer, Group Show, Salomon Arts Gallery, New York City, NY, September 2015
– The Dash, Group Show, Soma Studio, Sydney, Australia, November 2014
– The New God, Solo Show, Wallplay, New York City, NY, October 2013
– Who Shot Natalie White, Group Show, ROX Gallery, New York City, NY, April 2013
Editorials by photographer Elizabeth Waterman below